Project WIFAF (Women in Food and Farming) is empowering vulnerable rural and peri-urban women with existing (and potential) small-scale food and agro-based businesses to a state of sustainable livelihoods. Such women who are often a key part of the cycle of agricultural development, food security, and trading are often in helpless poverty-stricken situations, struggling to make ends meet even with their small-scale businesses. These may be due to a myriad of factors such as illiteracy, lack of funding, gender inequality, remote locations, and lack of access to public resources and information. Our goal is to improve their business capacity, provide financial support, expand their production and market base, and promote economic self-sustenance.
We are doing this through the following ways;
- Training, mentoring and development in vocational and business skills
- Innovating production, processing, packaging and sales of food and agricultural products
- Identification and connection to viable markets for expansion of small-scale businesses
- Provision of soft loans and financial support for initiation and/or expansion of SMEs
In this video, Mrs. Okeniyi a small-scale vegetable farmer discusses her current challenges and the need for her to expand her farming business to a sustainable level.
We are currently receiving applications and referrals to women who fit into the criteria of WIFAF – Women in Food and Farming;
- Must have an existing small-scale business in farming or food production. If the woman does not have an existing business, she must have a related skill in this area and must be ready to start a business. Also, we may consider women in other areas apart from Farming and Food production on a case-by-case basis.
- Must reside in a rural/peri-urban/marginalized community, with low socioeconomic status or in a vulnerable , poverty-related situation. Due to our target and limited resources, we are only considering women with an obvious need for Project WIFAF and we would evaluate all applications/referrals accordingly.
For more information, please contact us via;
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com (kindly copy both emails)
Phone – +2348120320647